In the fast evolving world of satellite navigation technology and GNSS applications, monitoring the landscape and having the latest information is essential. With its in-depth look at market opportunities and trends within the dynamic Maritime segment, the European GNSS Agency’s (GSA) 2017 GNSS Market Report is a key resource for successfully navigating this exciting market.
In the Maritime segment, GNSS is used to satisfy vessel and crew demand for navigation (in open sea or in specific situations, such as harbour entrances and approaches) and positioning (including, among others, vessel monitoring, traffic management, locator beacons for distress situations, etc.). According to the 5th edition of the GSA’s popular GNSS Market Report, growth in this segment will be primarily driven by navigation-based applications for recreational vessels and providing location information to Search and Rescue (SAR) beacons.
Other key trends identified by the Market Report include:
- With manufacturers bringing multi-constellation capable SAR beacon models to the market, there is an opportunity for Galileo to increase its market penetration for all types of SAR beacons.
- The first step towards creating the Smart Ships of tomorrow are being taken today, with GNSS set to play a pivotal role in helping crews avoid human errors, increase safety and reduce operational costs.
Regularly referenced by policy-makers and business leaders around the world, the GNSS Market Report serves as the go-to resource for an in-depth look at GNSS market opportunities and trends across an array of essential market segments.
“Providing in-depth information on today’s GNSS market opportunities and a data-driven forecast of its evolution through to 2025, this edition is a must-read for anyone looking to successfully navigate this promising market,” says GSA Executive Director Carlo des Dorides.
The GNSS Market Report takes a comprehensive look at the global GNSS market, providing a thorough analysis per market segment (Location-Based Services (LBS), Road Transportation, Aviation, Maritime, Rail, Agriculture, Surveying and Timing & Synchronisation), region and application type, including information on shipments, revenues and installed device base. This edition includes such new features as:
- An expanded section on macro-trends like the Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Cities and Big Data.
- Segment-specific user perspectives, with an emphasis on the increasingly stringent demands of today’s GNSS users.
- The unique added-value that European GNSS (EGNOS and Galileo) brings to each segment and how Galileo is already enhancing the functioning of many applications.
- A special feature on the important role that GNSS plays in the growing market of drones
- (i.e., UAVs/Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems).
As an official European Union Regulatory Agency, the European GNSS Agency (GSA) manages public interests related to European GNSS programmes. The GSA’s mission is to support European Union objectives and achieve the highest return on European GNSS investment, in terms of benefits to users and economic growth and competitiveness
The GSA GNSS Market Report is compiled by the GSA and the European Commission and was produced using the GSA’s systematic Marketing Monitoring and Forecasting Process.
The underlying market model uses advanced forecasting techniques applied to a wide range of input data, assumptions, and scenarios to forecast the size of the GNSS market in terms of shipments, revenue, and installed base of receivers.